Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Bottles over the fence

A new quandary - how to stop the beer bottles from migrating across the fence into my yard? In summer, it was just plain annoying. Every time I'd mow the backyard, I'd scoop up the assorted candy wrappers and flamin' hot Cheetos bags from my yard. For awhile, when it first got cold, it was like the litterbugs had fled to the inside of their crappy apartment building.

Then, one day about a week ago, while brushing my teeth and looking down into my backyard, I spied a beer bottle smack dab in the middle of my backyard, in the snow. It was almost artistic. While leaving a bit later, I remembered it, and my boyfriend tossed it back over the fence into the yard - heck, not even a yard, but just asphalt parking lot - for the four-unit apartment building next door. I chastised him and said it should be recycled, but I did agree there was a point to be made.

Then, Sunday morning, I noticed another beer bottle (the same one?) in my backyard. I forgot about it every time I left the house, until Monday morning, while in the rush to leave for work.

Yep, there are now three empty beer bottles in my backyard.

I'm torn. If I recycle them in my own cans, yes, it removes the litter. If I toss them back over, does it send a message? What I just don't understand is why - the parking lot in question has all four garbage cans and four recycle bins within 10 feet of where the bottles enter my property. I always wonder who taught litterers that it's okay to leave your trash in someone's yard or, in the case of my walk to the train, along the side of the road.

If I see the friendly landlord again, I'll mention it to him. Though I guess in the greater scheme of things, the bottles aren't nearly as bad as the crack dealers he used to rent to.

No comments: