Sunday, April 13, 2008

Happy Housiversary!

It's my second housiversary today! After last week's vacation, I had lots to do around the house today. I did some spackling and framed and hung some pictures. Then I moved out the couch and cleaned behind it. Still in full-cleaning mode, I lifted up the heavy (iron?) heat intake grate in the dining room and vacuumed out the gross cobwebs. I found cat toys and crayons in the vent, so it's obviously been quite awhile since it was cleaned out! I had to fend off Collette, who was circling curiously. I was afraid she would dart down into the vent, which would have been bad news. I dusted, I vacuumed, I laundered.

I also finally did my first outdoor work of the season! I went out with my rake and yard waste bag and started picking up all the leaves and sticks that have accumulated over the long, long winter. It proved too windy to rake, and after all the rain, yesterday's snow and this morning's hail, the flower beds were too soft to spend any real time in. But I filled half a bag with detritus and preened over my growing tulips - no buds yet, but soon enough!

This evening, I ran to Menard's to price out some of my upcoming projects. I am definitely replacing the back door and screen door in the very near future. I priced out fencing, since mine is looking sorrier and sadder now that I'm home before dark. I have a lot of decisions to make on the fence. I want the same basic structure - a 6 foot tall privacy fence - especially since my back yard abuts the neighboring apartment building's parking lot. I could replaced the rotting, faded, cracked, splintered wood with new wood - involving painting or staining and periodic maintenance. The new composite fencing looks intriguing, though, especially with the lack of maintenance. But I'm not sure how a white fence would look against my white house. Plus, if I stay in this house another five years, how much maintenance would I really need to do?

I also wandered through the bathroom section to look at the looming big project that I'll tackle just as soon as I get the cash.

But for now, it's been a happy housiversary.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Happy Housiversary Crysta! Thats awesome.