Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Invasions

We've got swarms of some strange, tan flying bug hanging out by the front door. They're clearly drawn by the (timer-fueled) porchlights, but they've multiplied exponentially and are now a verifiable swarm. Every night they appear in droves so thick that the door and the windows on either side look like something out of a movie. Collette is enthralled, watching them flit around silently, trying to avoid the spiderwebs. She has caught and eaten several - I suppose the extra protein won't hurt her.

We sprayed the front door area with bug spray (of the general "flying bug" variety), leaving piles of tiny bodies on the front steps. The next night, though, the horde returned, barely fazed. For the most part, they stay outside, but occasionally they seem to slip in, and there's a cobweb between the front door and its storm door that I clear out every morning.

Meanwhile, the wasp infestation continues. After knocking down three or four small nests, we kept noticing wasps buzzing around the driveway and yard, so we knew there had to be another nest somewhere. Indeed, I stumbled across a giant one on Sunday while washing windows. I got to the outside of the office window - the one that lacks a screen and hence hasn't been open this year - and was about to spray with the Windex when I stopped dead in my tracks. There was a huge, baseball-sized nest, teeming with white eggs ready to hatch and swarming with at least a dozen wasps. I quickly decided to wait until dusk and spray with wasp killer rather than Windex. Monday, there were several wasp corpses on the window sill but some were still buzzing around, and Don watched (from inside) larva crawling from one of the egg pods. I sprayed again Monday evening, and may do so again Tuesday before knocking it down with a broom and running like hell.

Ah, the joys of critters who can hurt you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have never seen so many bugs in my life until I moved to Elgin. Try hairspray for the wasp nests...but knocking it with a broom and running like hell works too? LOL!!