Sunday, September 21, 2008

Upcoming Projects

I spent part of Saturday planning out my projects for the next six months, along with budget and a bit of Dad guidance. Here's my tentative plan for the next few months:

1) Fence. Must do this soon, before the ground hardens. I've done quite a bit of research (including the need for a permit!), taken tons of measurements, and am just about ready to go. Except, of course, for a few nagging questions. Like, what do I do with the old fence? And what happens to all the junk my neighbor has propped up against my back fence? Those will be answered soon.

2) Windows. I've been window shopping lately, learning as much as I can about replacement windows. I spent a couple good hours at Home Depot learning from their window expert and have read countless websites. In the interest of time, sanity and proper insulation, I will be hiring a company to do this project - their estimates will determine how many I replace now versus next year. I've got three contractors identified for bids; I hope to have them all out within the next few days.

3) Replace cracked window panes. Related to replacing windows, I've got two cracked panes on my porch. Replacing them will take a bit of research, but I should be able to handle it myself.

4) Finish caulking the porch roof. I started this with half a tube of leftover caulk, so I might as well finish it. A little extra insulation never hurt anyone.

5) Light-a-palooza. I have a couple u-g-l-y light fixtures that continue to annoy me. The next time that Home Depot/Lowe's/Menards has a great lighting sale, I'm going to bite the bullet and replace a couple of the most egregious - like the Hollywood Barbie light bar in the downstairs bathroom and the naked bulb in the stairwell.

6) Dining room floor. My floor has been uneven since I first looked at the house - the joys of 110 years of history - but the dining room has always been the most noticable and disconcerting. My home inspector said it stemmed from a cracked floor joist that must have occured when a previous owner installed ductwork in the basement. The inspector and another contractor concurred that the floor isn't sinking - it's moved as far as it will - but it's always been a bit unsettling. Regardless, I plan on ripping up the otherwise nice hardwood floor and pouring a leveling compound, then laying a new subfloor and some sort of flooring. I may also replace the support beams in the basement to make them all uniform and get rid of the potentially-scary shims.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I forgot to suggest an electric jack hammer to break up the ancient concrete around the old fence posts. My dad used one rented from the Depot to get rid of our old step. The sucker's heavy, but you just hold it and it does the job.

--Sarah

scott said...

oooo please reconsider number 6. its a shame to take original features out of great old homes. having uneven floors is part of the charm of owning an old home afterall. if it really bothers you, you could probably jack up the floors (done it) and sister up the cracked joist. it would be less work and cost than ripping them out. if you do wind up pulling them please find someone who will reuse them and keep them out of a landfill or fire pit.. my 2c :)

Crysta said...

I agree with you Scott - I love the old floors. It's one of the things that drew me to this house. But this particular section of floor physically sinks a bit as you step on it - even when my cat walks across. I have an irrational fear that some day I'm going to crash through to the basement below!

My dad and I had discussed exactly what you suggest - jacking up the old floors and sistering along the bad joist. My worry is how much the old floor will shift or crack when I do so. There's already some damage and some places that will need to be replaced - it's just a matter of degree. Fingers crossed...